Ghost TrapTM DS / Ghost TrapTM DS-HP (for UHPLC)
Mobile phase cleaner for HPLC
A new high-pressure model for the elimination of impurities from organic solvents has been added to the Ghost Trap DS* lineup.
The Ghost Trap DS* was co-developed with Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd. It has been designed to effectively adsorb impurities in the mobile phase in order to reduce the time required for method development and impurity analysis.
The 100 MPa pressure resistance of the Ghost Trap DS-HP allows it to be used with UHPLC systems. This permits the effective use of the Ghost Trap DS for method development by UHPLC and subsequent transfer to conventional analysis.
* DS: Abbreviation of Daiichi Sankyo (D) and Shimadzu (S)
Consistently traps impurities, even in organic solvents
A major feature of the Ghost Trap DS is the ability to remove impurities even in organic solvents. When the Ghost Trap DS is installed between the gradient mixer and autosampler in reversed phase gradient analysis, it can trap impurities from the piping and gradient mixer in addition to those from the mobile phase.
The example below shows that it can effectively trap impurities in mobile phase, when the Ghost Trap DS is installed just downstream of the gradient mixer as displayed in the figure on the right.
|Mobile phase||A: 25 mmol/L Phosphate (Potassium) buffer solution pH 4.0 /Acetonitrile =9/1
B: Water/Acetonitrile = 1/9
|Flow rate||0.65 mL/min|
|Detection||UV 210 nm|
Application to Quantitative Analysis of Impurities Using the Nexera UHPLC
Quantitation of a small peak covered by ghost peaks can be difficult. Effective for the quantitative analysis of impurities, the Ghost Trap DS/DS-HP effectively eliminates such ghost peaks to ensure highly accurate quantitation, even with very small target component peaks.
|Mobile phase A||5 mmol/L phosphoric acid (sodium) buffer solution (pH 2.6)|
|Mobile phase B||5 mmol/L phosphoric acid (sodium) buffer solution (pH 2.6) / Acetonitrile = 1/3|
|Gradient||0.1 % (0 min) → 20 % (10 min) → 60 % (15 min) → 95 % (20 min)|
|Flow rate||0.5 mL/min|
|Injection volume||2 μL|
|Column||Shim-pack XR-ODSⅢ 75 mmL. x 2.0 mmI.D., 1.6 μm|
Two Ghost Trap DS models are now available: the cartridge type for superior cost performance and the 100 MPa high-pressure type for use with UHPLC systems. Select the appropriate one for your application.
|Ghost Trap DS||228-59921-91||Two cartridge||30 mmL. x 7.6 mmI.D.||Approx. 700 μL||35 MPa|
and one holder
|228-59921-93||Two cartridge||20 mmL. x 4.0 mmI.D.||Approx. 150 μL|
and one holder
|Ghost Trap DS-HP||228-59931-91||Packed type||30 mmL. x 2.1 mmI.D.||Approx. 60 μL||100 MPa|
- *1 Note that a delay volume equivalent to the internal volume of the product occurs if the product is installed downstream of the gradient mixer or the confluence of two pumps.
- * The product service life differs according to analysis conditions, such as the mobile phase used.
- * In analysis using an ion-pairing reagent, the ion-pairing reagent may be retained in the product, influencing the retention time and peak shape.
- * Before connecting the analytical column, be sure to thoroughly clean the flow path with mobile phase (close to the final concentration for gradient analysis).
- * Note that some impurities may not be removed.
- * When performing high-pressure analysis exceeding 35 MPa with a UHPLC system, connect the gradient mixer to the Ghost Trap DS-HP with pipe for UHPLC (e.g.228-53137-97).