Nano Spotter for MALDI-TOF MS
Bringing LC to MALDI Technology
LC/MS/MS is often regarded as the technique of choice in identifying components from complex mixtures; however, it is not without its limitations. An alternative approach is to consider LC/MALDI.
LC/MALDI has a number of advantages in that the LC is decoupled from the MALDI mass spectrometer. MALDI can support:
- A higher data acquisition at the top of the eluting peak (owing to the fact that the peak can be spread over several spots) allows a precise selection of precursor ions for MS/MS analysis.
- Sample archiving (the MALDI plate can be stored and used to further validate protein identification if required)
- Uncompromised sensitivity (LC/MALDI analysis can focus solely on the peak apex) Increased depth of coverage of the sample and enhanced sequence coverage for the detected proteins.
The AccuSpot was designed for online collection of fractions eluting from Capillary/Nano LC.
- Supports micro-fractionation on Shimadzu MALDI-TOF/MS targets, for 96 or 384 well, and ABI format MALDI plates.
- Multiple plates can be spotted continuously. The plate changer allows a maximum of 9 Shimadzu (MTP format) or 18 ABI plates to be spotted without stopping.
- Matrix solution is added automatically. Depending on the application, matrix solution can be mixed with the column eluent via a "T" prior to the probe or at the probe tip through a 3 duct system. The third duct is used for rinsing the probe tip.
- Easy to use software gives the user total control over the spotting operation from setting matrix flow rate to spotting pattern to report generation.
- The system includes a CCD camera as a standard accessory, so the actual spotting activity and status can be confirmed on the PC screen.
- An optional barcode reader is available for sample tracking.
- Compatible with any HPLC system capable of delivering micro/capillary/nanoflow.
The AccuSpot automates LC micro-fractionation, spotting and preparation for MS analysis. With the AccuSpot system, LC eluent can be accurately and continuously spotted onto target plates, in trace amounts (eg.50nL). This allows for automatic preparation of target plates for MALDI-TOF-MS measurements. When used in conjunction with Shimadzu's Two-Dimensional Micro LC System and Shimadzu Biotech's AXIMA MALDI-TOF instruments, proteome analysis can be performed with a higher degree of precision and with greater sequence coverage.
Key Features of the AccuSpot
Unique sample spotting mode
The "Half-Contact" spotting method (see above) uses plate sensors (patent pending) to ensure accurate spotting and virtually eliminates carryover from spot to spot. Click here to see the AccuSpot in action.
High sample capacity
9 Shimadzu or 18 ABI target plates can be loaded at one time.
Highly flexible sample loadings
The matrix solution can be added at flow rates from 0.1μL/min to 50 μL/min. To accommodate different needs the spotting direction can be either straight row and column or zigzag row and column.
To ensure that the droplet formation and collection is consistent, a CCD camera is used to monitor micro-fractionation.
Spotting is carried out in one of two ways: Continuous Mode to collect the entire chromatographic run or Programmable Time Window Mode to collect only the areas of interest in the chromatographic run. Both modes allow spotting intervals from 5 to 60 sec/spot.